When dessert cravings come knocking, it takes a stronger mind than mine to say no. While there’s nothing wrong with a little “treat yoself” attitude from time-to-time, a daily dessert habit isn’t exactly in line with most fitness goals. For those times when you need something sweet but don’t want to kill your progress, here are my favorite guilt-free desserts.
- Banana Ice Cream. This is easy to make and can be spiced up with any number of mix-ins. Bonus: it’s a great use for bananas that are past their prime. To make, peel and chop a very ripe banana, then put it in the freezer for at least 2 hours (I like to keep a stockpile of frozen bananas in the freezer so I never have to wait). Once the banana pieces are frozen, put them in a blender with a splash of unsweetened almond milk, and blend until smooth. The consistency will end up being similar to soft-serve ice cream. I like to add in chocolate chips, peanut butter, a splash of vanilla extract, almonds, protein powder and/or cacao powder. The options are endless!
- Halo Top Ice Cream. This option is a bit pricey, but it’s as satisfying as regular ice cream for less than 300 calories per pint (for most flavors). My go-to is birthday cake, but I need to get my hands on some of these new flavors like oatmeal cookie and s’mores.
- Quest Bars. Not dessert you say? Try their brownie, chocolate chip or cookies and cream flavors. You’ll change your tune.
- Banana Muffins. This recipe from ambitious kitchen is simple and delicious. Sometimes I toss in chocolate chips to sweeten them a bit more. I also love to toast them and melt nut butter on top. These make a great on-the-go snack, too.
- Healthified Hot Cocoa. Bring 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk to a boil. Add cacao powder and cinnamon to taste.
What are your favorite guilt-free desserts?